2017 Big Trip – Key Largo, FL
July 7th – July 16th (Fri.-Sun.) – 6 days of Scuba diving on beautiful reefs in the Keys and many other exciting activities!!!
- Youth leader: .
- Adult advisor: Letitia B-E.
- Click here to sign up for this Key Largo dive event. Deposit of $200 per person is due immediately with sign-ups; $100 of initial deposit is non-refundable. Please sign-up by Dec. 11th (Christmas party).
- Cost: Rough estimate of $1300 per person (this figure is likely high); includes all travel expenses, food, accommodations, scuba diving and other fun activities. Once reservations and deposits are made, details with more specific numbers will be posted.
Boat diving, rental home & land activities (10 day trip: leave Friday, stay a week, return the following Sunday). 6 days of diving, 7 night stay + 2 nights stay (at Macon GA VFW) during 4 days of car travel (1300 miles = approx 18 hr 30 min drive). Trip will include: 6 days of boat diving (2 dives each day: lots of reefs, several wrecks & 1 night dive; Total of 12 dives, includes 2 tanks & air per trip & weights). Add’l gear (bcd, regulator) will be included, possibly from Midwest Scuba, or maybe from Rainbow Reef. DM tips are included.
Lodging will be in a vacation home that has 7 bedrooms, beds for 20 people & 5 bathrooms. The home overlooks Florida Bay, has an outdoor pool, an outdoor grill, 2 full kitchens, TVs, washer/dryers, etc.
Land activities will include swimming in the private pool, feeding the tarpan at Robbie’s Marina, kayaking at John Pennekamp Coral Reef State Park & visits to the History of Diving Museum, the Wild Bird Center & the Turtle Hospital; all gas expenses are included.
Food includes all cook-in meals at the house & pack-out lunches as needed. We will eat out at a restaurant for at least 2 dinners. Travel days will include food for 3 breakfasts, 4 lunches & 3 dinners (you will need to eat before we meet on Friday & eat supper at home when we get back).
All of this diving, food & fun for only $1300 per person! Non-divers will be $1000 pp. These numbers are being figured high as a precautionary measure. Once we have actual numbers after reservations are secured & deposits made, we will have a more accurate cost estimation. Also, the costs are based on the maximum of 20 participants, if we do not get 20 people, the per person rate will likely increase to cover the housing costs.
Available space will be filled FIRST-COME, FIRST-SERVED. An initial $200 deposit is required upon signing up ($100 of initial $200 deposit is non-refundable). 2nd deposit payment of $600 is due Feb. 22nd; final deposit payment of $500 is due April 26th (these are Committee meeting nights). Once more Crew payments are made for our accommodations, scuba diving, etc, your entire deposit money is no longer refundable. You will be responsible for finding someone else to take your spot in order to POSSIBLY get your money back.
Sign-ups are still being taken, though there are only 8 spots left as of 12-18-16, but sign-ups/deposits need to be made ASAP so reservations and payments do not have to be adjusted. If there are no damages/extra expenses incurred with the rental home, $50 per person lodging damage deposit will be returned upon receipt. Final costs are based on actual number of participants; IF there is less people than the max of 20, then costs per person for accommodations will likely increase.
- Health/physical form: Use this BSA health form, parts A, B and C. A Doctor MUST sign off on part C.
- Crew Release form: Please use this Crew 905 Release Form -or- Crew 905 Release Form – fillable and be sure to print it, fill it out and sign it, including by parents, if applicable.
- Release form for Rainbow Reef; coming soon.
Drivers: To be determined later
What to bring:
- Shorts and t-shirts, probably 5 shirts including you may want to take some of those dry wicking for diving.
- Crew shirt(s)
- Swimming suit
- Sweat shirt (hoody), just in case it gets cold
- Rain jacket (if everyone brings it surely won’t rain)
- Flashlight and batteries
- Shower towel and/or beach towel
- Toiletries as needed
- Sunblock and insect spray
- Hat and sunglasses if desired.
- OTC (over the counter) and prescription medications, with written instructions.
- Camera, if you have one
- Fun stuff, such as, football, kickball, frisbee, etc